Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Home for the Holidays


For the first time in 5 years, I will be home for the entire holiday season. During college I used to get bummed out after Thanksgiving break because I was back at school and therefore missing out on all of the holiday fun that happens at home. I missed the tree decorating, cookie baking, Christmas shopping with mom, etc. It was always hard to concentrate on school work, when all I wanted to do was go home! The only good thing about being at school was that it often snowed in Kansas City, making it feel more like Christmas. (Last year there was a particularly great distraction though :) At home in St. Louis, it was usually warmer and there was no snow.

I know it sounds really sappy, but I used to listen to certain holiday songs and cry because I either really wanted to go home or I was really glad to be able to go home. Side note: I highly recommend Kenny Loggins- Celebrate Me Home Haha. It was always such a nice feeling to come home for that month or so and have no job or school work. Not to mention the feeling of being missed so much by everyone. Walking into church I felt like a celebrity!

This year I am already at home, and I was not missed (it's hard to miss someone who lives in your house). Although I don't get the joy of feeling missed, I also don't have to miss out on holiday festivities like decorating, baking, and shopping. One of my favorite things to do is cuddle up with some tea (and my snuggie :), and watch Christmas movies with my family. There isn't a whole lot that compares.

No comments: